Wednesday, August 22, 2012

His Strength is Made Perfect in My Weakness



Recently, I had the honor of listening to author Sara Horn at the base chapel. For those of you unfamiliar with Mrs. Horn, she is a Navy wife and sister in Christ who ministers to fellow military spouses. She has written several books including "God Strong: The Military Wife's Spiritual Survival Guide" and "Faith Deployed: Daily Encouragement for Military Wives". Whether you are new to military life or a seasoned spouse, I highly recommend taking the time to read those two books.  Anyway, the title of Mrs. Horn's message this morning was God Strong, and she discussed the desperate need that we have to go through life's trials relying on the Lord's strength instead of solely depending on ourselves. 
  I very much feel as though God spoke directly into my heart using Sara's words.  I realize that ever since Jeff left, I have been trying to do everything on my own strength, even to the point of exhaustion. I think that sometimes as women, and especially as military spouses, we see asking for help as a sign of weakness so we try to be superwoman. I've always heard "God never gives you more than you can handle" so I try to handle everything alone. I do the mom thing on my own strength. I homeschool on my own strength. I survive this deployment on my own strength.  The only thing about human strength is that it is not infinite; it eventually runs out. I feel like a failure. Tired. Defeated. Alone. Then, the enemy uses these feelings to push me deeper into a pit.
  The thing is even if God very well never gives us more than we can handle, He does not expect or even want us to handle the stresses of life on our own strength. Our Lord wants us to give it to Him. ALL of it.  Psalm 46:1 tells us: "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." Catch that last part? "An ever-present help in trouble" Ever-present. He never leaves us. He never grows tired. He never grows weak. He stays by my side watching me flail about in the water trying to escape on my own, and patiently waits for me to ask Him to pull me out.  
  That Sunday morning in the chapel, I knew in my heart what the Lord was trying to tell me. I had tried relying on my own strength, and I had failed. After I put the kids down for their naps and I sat down to for my quiet time with my Lord, I cried out to Him and my soul shouted "I can't do this alone, Lord!" I need Him. I need His strength in all that I do. I gave it all to Him, and so many burdens that had been weighing me down have been lifted.
  No matter what you may be struggling with--marriage difficulties, life changes, parenting challenges, poor health, you do not have to carry these burdens alone. God WANTS to carry your burdens, all you have to do is hand Him the load. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment