Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Homemade Natural Body Wash Recipe(can also be used as shampoo!)

I have experimented with various body wash and shampoo recipes since beginning my journey of natural living. I could never quite get it to a consistency that made me happy. After much fiddling around, I think I have finally concocted the perfect balance.  It has close to the consistency of store-bought body wash, and best of all it works well as a shampoo too!
One of the biggest differences about using natural body wash or shampoo is that it is not going to lather like a commercial product does. That is because commercial products add synthetic lathering agents to cause the soap to suds up in that way. Also, your hair WILL go through an adjustment period when switching to natural shampoos. It varies from person to person, but usually averages about 1-2 weeks. I think most people hate how their hair looks after using a natural product for 1-2 days so they just give up. I really wanted to get rid of my commercial hair products so I decided to make the transition last summer. I figured I already wear hats or headscarves during the summer so that would be the perfect time for my hair to go through the natural shampoo transition period. For about 2 weeks, my hair was oily and lifeless. Towards the end of the third week, however, my hair looked better than it ever had with commercial products. It was smooth and full of body. If you can trudge through the transition period, I promise the switch will be worth your while.

Homemade Body Wash/Shampoo Recipe(makes around 8oz)
  • 1/3c Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Soap
  • 1/3c distilled water
  • 1/3c pure aloe vera gel(I use aloe vera from Mountain Rose Herbs because its thicker consistency is perfect for the consistency I want my body wash to have)
  • 1tsp vitamin E oil
  • 1 tsp vegetable glycerin
  • 1/2 tsp light carrier oil(varies according to your skin/hair type, I use jojoba)
  • If desired, you can add about 30-40 drops of essential oils to scent your wash. My favorite combination is 20 drops lavender, 10 drops lemon, and 5 drops rosemary
Mix together all of the ingredients and pour into a clean container. To use: lather with a loofah or wash cloth for a body wash. As a shampoo, use as you would a commercial shampoo, but after lathering let the shampoo sit on your hair for a few extra minutes. Rinse well with cool water. This body wash may separate between uses; gently shake to remix before using.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    I've been using a real basic home made shampoo for about 2 years now and I think it's great. I tried it mainly because I didn't like shampoo commercials telling me I HAVE to use their product or I'll get dandruff and die lonely...

    I've recently been experimenting with different formulas with mixed results... some have been disastrous but luckily not all of them!

    I'll definitely be giving your formula a go.

    Thanks,

    Rob

    http://www.naturalshampookits.org

    ReplyDelete