Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Why I put breastmilk in my son's ear

You did what?! I knew the title would get your attention;-)  Before you label me a lunatic and delete me from your Facebook friends, just hear me out.
   Early last week, Jackson started complaining about ear pain. This pain was intense enough to drive him to tears and awaken him from nap.  This was a bit of uncharted territory for me, as neither of my children have ever had an ear infection. I could immediately tell that's what the problem was so I sought to find a natural solution.  If I took him to the doctor, they would just put him on antibiotics.(To read about the dangers of antibiotic overuse, please go here http://search.mercola.com/search/Pages/results.aspx?k=antibiotics) I am a big believer that the good Lord designed our body to heal and gave us many miraculous things in order to aid our health.  That being said, I immediately began treating him by putting several drops of my homemade garlic/mullein oil ear drops in his ear several times a day and also started giving him echinacea glycerite to help boost immunity to fight the infection.  After about a day, he was still having intense pain that was even waking him up at night so I decided to try a different route. I remember reading something about pink eye being treated with breastmilk so I decided to research to see if it would work for ear infections.  In addition to providing perfect nutrition for babies, a number of valuable uses for both children and adults. It has been used medicinally for thousands of years. The antibacterial and healing properties of breast milk are often overlooked. Breast milk contains strong antibodies and antitoxins that promote healing and better overall health. I decided that at this point we had nothing to lose so I decided we would give it a shot for 2 days, and if Jack still was experiencing discomfort, I would take him to the base clinic.  Considering I haven't had a baby since 2007, I obviously had to find a supply of breastmilk. Luckily, my good friend(who is cool with my weird, hippie ways) just had a baby so I decided to ask her if she would be kind enough to give me a little of her milk. Man, can I just say that was the most awkward text I ever sent. It went a little something like, "Hey, don't think I'm weird, but can I have some of your breastmilk to cure Jackson's ear infection?"  She is awesome and was totally willing to help me. I think it is important to mention that I know that she was a safe source of breastmilk. If you have to borrow milk, you want to make sure it is from someone without communicable diseases, no drug/alcohol use, etc
  One day after Jack started complaining about discomfort, we started using the breastmilk. I put 3-4 drops in the affected ear several times a day.  I still continued giving him the echinacea glycerite to boost his immunity. He was also very clingy and whiny so I made sure to give him lots of cuddles and rocked him most of the day in the rocking chair. When he had discomfort, I would place a warm compact on his ear. I limited his dairy, but aside from that I kept his diet the same(organic produce, whole grains, and lean proteins). He didn't have much of an appetite so I made sure every bite he took counted!  He also had a slight fever before going to bed, which I knew meant that his body was working hard to fight the infection. Despite what many people think, fevers aren't necessarily a bad thing(here is a link if you want to read more about a natural perspective about fevers http://healthyfamiliesforgod.com/2011/11/fever-what-every-parent-needs-to-know-about-gods-design/).   Before he went to bed, I put a few drops(no more than 3) of collodial silver in his ear and also gave him all natural Hyland's Homeopathic Earache Tablets so he could sleep through the night without discomfort.  And I prayed.
To my surprise, the next morning I had my Jackson back! He was joyful, hungry, bouncy, and best of all--he said his ears felt all better! My crazy, hippie therapy worked!  His fever was gone, his ear was no longer red, and he was back to normal! I kept using the breastmilk, collodial silver, and echinacea for a few more days just to make sure the infection didn't return, but luckily it didn't.  I was totally prepared to take Jack to the clinic if it became necessary, but his body healed itself with a little extra all natural help:-D

No comments:

Post a Comment